Login Get News Updates
For local news delivered via email enter address here:
Profile Subscriptions Mobile Tablet
Front Page October 30, 2008  RSS feed

Crackdown Nets Perps In Shooting

Say Suspects' Gunplay Led To Girl's Injuries
by Robert Pozarycki

Tyler Pizarro Tyler Pizarro The alleged shooter and three others connected with the gunfire that broke out on a Ridgewood block last Monday, Oct. 20 that struck and injured a five-year-old girl have been arrested on assault charges, police reported.

Law enforcement sources said 16-year-old Tyler Pizarro of Starr Street and an accomplice, 23-yearold Juan Martinez of Himrod Street, were taken into custody last Thursday, Oct. 23 by members of the 104th Precinct Detective Squad for their roles in the shooting along Himrod Street near Seneca Avenue that left one of the combatants and the juvenile bystander injured.

Two days earlier, as reported in last week's issue of the Times Newsweekly, detectives charged two other Himrod Street residents— 19-year-old Thomas Hirro and 16-year-old Wilson Santana— for taking part in the incident.

Juan Martinez Juan Martinez The 27-year-old male shooting victim was treated for a gunshot wound to his leg, while the fiveyear old girl suffered a punctured lung after being shot in the back. As of press time, she is listed in stable condition and is expected to make a recovery.

According to law enforcement sources, the shooting occurred at around 9:15 p.m. in front of a residence on Himrod Street near Seneca Avenue.

Reportedly, the 27-year-old male was with a group of friends at the scene when they were approached by a pack of individuals walking westbound along Himrod Street.

Based on information obtained by police in the course of their investigation, it was determined that a dispute broke out between the two groups.

According to the Queens District Attorney's office, Hirro and Santana allegedly admitted to police in statements following the incident that during the course of the dispute, they retrieved handguns and fired several shots into the crowd.

Law enforcement sources said that Pizarro also allegedly fired three shots during the conflict.

At the same time, police noted, the five-year-old girl was walking along Himrod Street with her parents when the gunfire erupted. After running away from the location, authorities said, the parents discovered that their child had been struck in the back.

Following the gunfire, police said, the combatants involved fled from the scene and weapons were allegedly hidden by the suspects.

Members of the 104th Precinct responded to the scene along with EMS units. The injured 27-year-old male was transported by paramedics to Wyckoff Heights Medical Center.

The parents of the five-year-old girl reportedly brought the youngster to the medical center. She was later transferred to New York- Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan.

During the investigation that followed, the district attorney's office noted, police recovered a live .32- cal. round and several spent shell casings from in front of the Himrod Street location.

Detectives later executed a search warrant of the premises and reportedly recovered a black .38-cal. revolver with one live round in the chamber as well as silver .32-cal. pistol, 10 live .38-cal. rounds and seven live .33-cal. rounds located in a black bag found in the backyard.

All four suspects were arrested by Det. Steven Lundy of the 104th Precinct Detective Squad and charged with first-degree assault, two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment, according to a spokesperson for Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown.

Pizarro and Martinez were arraigned on Friday, Oct. 24 in Queens Criminal Court before Judge Suzanne Melendez, who remanded them into custody without bail, according to court records. They are scheduled to return to court on Nov. 12.

As for Hirro and Santana, court records indicated that both were arraigned on Wednesday, Oct. 22 before Judge Mary O'Donoghue and ordered held in custody on $250,000 bail. A return court date has been scheduled for Nov. 5.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney James Evangelou, chief of the D.A.'s Career Criminals Major Crimes Bureau, under the supervision of Senior Executive Assistant District Attorney for Trials James C. Quinn and Deputy Executive Assistant District Attorneys for Trials John H. Larsen and Robert J. Masters.